This past weekend I was invited to make a healthy dish for the local
Tour de Cure event with the American Diabetes Association. I was thrilled they asked even though I was then not able to ride the event
as I have in the past. It was a fun day for me, as I was able to interact with more people this way more so than just riding and having my
‘stuff’ on a table someplace. I was also told by many that this 3 Bean Salad was ‘the best salad on the premises“. I even had several people come back with friends, or people come saying their friends sent them! So it must be tasty!
Here is the recipe which is so darn easy to make, especially if you use canned beans! Just open cans, rinse and use (yes, this was a bit tricky at an expo! This is where creativity comes in –
bring a sieve, can opener and bottled water. Open can, pour beans into sieve over garbage can, rinse with water…done)
3 Bean Salad
• 1 can black beans (organic preferred)
• 1 can pinto beans (organic preferred)
• 1 can garbanzo beans (organic preferred)
• ¾-1 cup celery, chopped
• ½-1 red pepper, chopped
• 1 small tomato, chopped (optional – best in season)
• ½-1 avocado, chopped
• 1-2 clove garlic, chopped or smashed
• 2 tablespoons hemp hearts (optional – to add protein and healthy fats to keep it vegan)
• 1 cup baby kale or baby spinach or mixed greens (see Note below)
• ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
• tablespoon balsamic vinegar
• teaspoon Dijon mustard
• 1 teaspoon lemon juice (fresh or bottled but not concentrate)
• Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. In a bowl, combine and toss all ingredients until blended evenly with dressing (see NOTE below regarding greens).
2. Serve on salad, vegetables (broccoli, kale, arugula, diced cucumbers crackers, etc) or in a wrap/ sandwich or with vegetables as a dip.
NOTE: if serving right way, mix the chopped greens into the bowl. If making to have for a few days, serve it on a bed of greens. Once the dressing is on the greens, they wilt and will not last but that day.