My Green Frappucino is becoming my favorite smoothie this summer.
I usually treat myself once a month in the summer to a Frappucino at Starbuck’s but I do find them to be too sweet. Then I have to ask for more espresso shots and before I know it, it is a $7 drink! I think I can make this at home! And so I do.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened hemp milk
- 1/2 cup ice (more if coffee is still hot)
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee (preferably room temperature or cold)
- 1 teaspoon – tablespoon real maple syrup
- 1+ cup mixed baby greens – kale, chard and spinach blend
- 1/2 inch turmeric root
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds (can be ground seeds, too)
- 1-2 tablespoon or raw cashews
- Put ice into the bottom of the blender container.
- Add flax seeds, nuts, turmeric root, liquids, then greens last.
- If using a Vitamix, put it on low setting for a minute to crush the ice and blend the ingredients. Use the tamper as needed. Turn on high for 1-2 minutes until it is all blended and is the consistency you desire.
- Taste it – if it is not not quite sweet enough, add more maple syrup.
- Pour into a pint glass and enjoy with a straw! You can also re-use an old Starbucks plastic cup 🙂
Let me know if you try this at home.
I love this after workouts or hill repeats on the bike as it is cool and refreshing! It doesn’t have quite enough protein, so I usually will eat a piece of chicken on the side (no, I don’t put it into the blender. That would be too weird!).
I like having the greens in it, too which provide some extra alkalinity, phyto-nutrients, fiber and much needed calcium and magnesium after workouts. This is why I use it often on summer days for a recovery meal or a meal replacement. It is metabolically efficient too!
Got a recipe you want me to try to re-make and find a healthier alternative with fewer calories but still keep the flavor? Send me an email or post it below and I will make it….and write a blog for you with the remade recipe!