“1 1/2 cups of vegetables? wow. tough but I’m doing it. at snack time and lunch. works though! was hardly hungry up to lunch.”
Do you know why you should eat more green and dark leafy green vegetables with your meals?
– more phytonutrients, antioxidants, fiber, etc.
– lots of calcium and magnesium that is readily absorbable; they also help muscles relax
– helps with recovery from exercise – both weight lifting and aerobic!
– More fiber! Yeah!
– More water naturally in them so you get better hydrated!
– And gives you some protein with very little carbohydrates so you do not spike the blood sugar levels. Basically that means, you won’t be as hungry as often. and that is always a good thing not to eat more than you need to!
Add stress – eat another serving or 2; add exercises – eat more servings; add sleep deprivation – eat more servings!!
So next time you want to have whole grain bread with peanut or almond butter and add a banana on it, you may want to add 1 cup of broccoli slaw to it and only eat ½ the banana or no banana at all. This will keep you satisfied longer, and your body will not be hungry in 90 minutes but more like 3 hours! try it if you don’t believe me, but that is why that comment above from my client came to life – he tried it and is now a believer.
So my question to you is – how many servings of green vegetables to you eat every day? if it is not 6, then start by adding one serving (1/2 cup = 3 oz by weight) every day – and add to other meals besides just lunch or just dinner – until you get to 6. you may be surprised that it is easier than you think but you feel so much better as a result. and isn’t that what it is all about? feeling better eating real food? so get your greens in every day!